“If we are going to help Millennials to come or come back to church, we need to understand why the Millennials don’t come now. Here are five reasons.”
- Millennials have less patience with institutions. Millennials don’t trust institutions – that includes the church.
- Millennials are less likely to be married. Single people are less likely to attend church than they were in previous generations.
- Millennials are waiting longer to have kids. Marriage and children bring people to church. #2 and #3 translate to fewer people transitioning to church.
- Millennials think Christians are too judgmental. M’s think it’s simply wrong to impose morality on another person.
- Millennials are turned off by Christians in politics. Christians need to be about growing the Kingdom of God rather than “Restoring a Christian America.
For a thorough explanation for each of these reasons see Haydn Shaw’s book Generational IQ pages 188-195.